Looking for a Baldwin expert
Author: John West
Date: 02-07-2011 - 13:27

I have recently been processing some of my old images of the Baldwin 2-6-6-2's that operated on the Dona Teresa Cristina in southern Brazil until the early 1970's:

The EFDTC 2-6-6-2's

According to the Roy Christian and Ken Mills book on South American Steam (our bible in the 1970's) these engines were built by Baldwin in 1950. I wonder if these were the last articulated engines built by Baldwin, perhaps in North America. There were three on the EFDTC when I visited, the 203-205. I have seen at least one reference to a fourth engine in the order, and apparently they were used elsewhere in Brazil before going to the EFDTC.

I have poked around the internet and not found any reference to these engines relative to Baldwin history. Baldwin merged with Lima-Hamilton about 1950 and these might even technically be BLH engines.

Is there a list of Baldwin and BLH engines on the internet. Interesting, all three of the engines I saw at Tubarao in 1972 survive, and one is supposedly in the process of the restored to serviceable condition.

John West

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Looking for a Baldwin expert John West 02-07-2011 - 13:27
  Re: Looking for a Baldwin expert Sam Reeves 02-08-2011 - 08:49

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com