Taking chances? Or incorrect information?
Author: Gerald Minor
Date: 03-27-2011 - 11:43

Wow. I hope the root cause of this tragedy isn't true. (See quote after OPPRMS post)

OPRRMS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the Longview, Washington, Daily News:
>
> [tdn.com]
> e0-b2a0-001cc4c03286.html
>
> My understanding of it is that a three-person crew
> had brought a train south from Seattle to Longview
> Jct. and tied it down, then were deadheading by
> contact van (an SUV) to Vancouver, Washington, to
> tie up. The van was stuck on the passenger's side
> while leaving the yard at a crossing protected
> only by crossbucks. Cars left close to the
> crossing on an adjacent main track partially
> blocked the driver's view of the approaching
> train.

COPIED FROM BOTTOM OF THREAD LAST NIGHT:

Our RFE gave us an update this afternoon. It seems at this point that the crew had been warned by radio from a pak-set or other employee to stop, that there was a train coming up. Supposedly the word emergency was included, but I'm a little unclear as to context. The crew in the carryall apparently induced the driver to make a dash for it across the Xing. I have no idea how this could be found out if everyone is dead, but maybe there was a camera/audio installed in the carryall like the inward-facing cameras are in California vans operated by Renzenberger??

Anyway, apparently there were two locomotive cameras that support the claim that the carryall quickly accelerated across at the last second- one camera in the unit that they collided with, and another from a unit farther down towards the yard on a different train. The grain train was not required to whistle through the crossing as Washington state does not require this for private crossings. He had the bell ringing, and brights/ditch lights on.

I can't vouch for or further explain this any more than what is here, as this is all that we were briefed. The RFE claims to have worked out of Vancouver, and stated that this crossing had visibility/other concerns in the past, and included what we all know: Stay focused, don't take chances, and double these efforts around potentially hazardous conditions.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Taking chances? Or incorrect information? Gerald Minor 03-27-2011 - 11:43
  Re: Taking chances? Or incorrect information? Sphincter Bib 03-27-2011 - 20:22
  Re: Taking chances? Or incorrect information? Erik H. 03-28-2011 - 21:55

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com