Re: UP {SI}
Author: SP5103
Date: 05-03-2011 - 07:57

Some of it might be Anhydrous Ammonia. They use the same car type as propane/flammable compressed gas.

Anhydrous Ammonia will have a green haz-mat triangle with the UN# 1005. It is nasty stuff, and will burn your lungs and kill you and everyone else exposed if it gets loose. It is a common fertilizer injected into the ground behind ripper shanks, and up in the Dakotas you see farmer driving around all the time with tanks of it connected to the truck with a simple hitch.

Propane or Butane will have a red haz-mat triangle and the UN# 1075. Also nasty, referred to as "bombs" where I've worked.

Regardless, both of these were the most common hazardous material I used to handle on trains that had a good potential of hurting a lot of people. I'm not sure how much Chlorine the railroad handles now, DHS requirements may have made the liability too much. Now there are also unit trains of ethanol, than can't be good it it gets loose.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  UP {SI} Tabasco 05-02-2011 - 23:36
  Re: UP {SI} SP5103 05-03-2011 - 07:57
  Re: UP {SI} Throttle Hogg 05-03-2011 - 21:48

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com