Mainline Steam on the East Coast??
Author: Mitch
Date: 08-25-2011 - 14:24

But of course, Steamtown.

Strange, how so many folks take for granted a large 2-8-2 running on the former DL&W main, on schedule, no less. Granted, the schedule is not as grand as it had been in the past, but there are still a few opportunities to make the most of it.

Here, after several attempts - excessive brush, overcast skies, and few diesel substitutions, I was finally able to catch CN #3254 at the rarely photographed third bridge over the Roaring Brook in Scranton. It was a one shot deal, kind of day!

CN #3254 over Roaring Brook

I had actually managed two earlier attempts - first a year back with a large tree in the way that suddenly seems to have disappeared, and second, at 10 mm which I learned the hard way required shooting at 1/1250th of a second to keep the front of the engine from blurring past the rear part of the engine!

/Mitch

PS - No OK for Ross's C&O #614, though CSX did manage to work out an agreement to move the engine dead in tow from Clifton Forge to While Sulfur Spring, VA. The engine is currently being painted in a Southern like Green livery and being called "The Presidential Greenbriar Express". The only other mainline steam on the east coast would have to be NKP #765 and the IAIS QJ's.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Mainline Steam on the East Coast?? Mitch 08-25-2011 - 14:24
  Re: Mainline Steam on the East Coast?? david vartanoff 08-25-2011 - 17:32
  Excellent choice of Focal Length ! Pdxrailtransit 08-27-2011 - 10:15
  Re: Coastal Rails Yinzer Foamer 08-28-2011 - 13:17

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com