SACRAMENTO TRACKS
Author: BOB R
Date: 12-20-2011 - 11:15

I have a question for some of the more knowledgeable railroad folks here. Yesterday I went train watching with my grandchildren (7 y.o. boy, 6 y.o. girl, and 1 1/2 y.o boy) in Sacto. We thought we were going to see a westbound UPRR mixed freight cross the Sacramento River at I street, but it stopped on the east side curve leading to the old Espee station. This is where all the bridges to nowhere are, now. It then proceded to back up all 85 cars onto the SP/WP connector and onto the American River bridge on the old WP line, where it reversed and then proceeded southbound through downtown SAC on the WP. I assume that it eventually ended up in Stockton, which, since it came through Elvas, seems like a going around your elbow to get to your nose.

Quite an amazing operation and one I'd never encountered. My question involves the train crew (unfortunately I didn't have a scanner to eavesdrop). Who would throw the switch at the rear of the train and watch the progress as it backed onto the new line and then relign the switches? Is this commonly done in Sacramento? It fascinated Matthew and Sarah (I think Joshua was more interested in his bottle).

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SACRAMENTO TRACKS BOB R 12-20-2011 - 11:15
  Re: SACRAMENTO TRACKS Dr Zarkoff 12-20-2011 - 14:12
  Re: SACRAMENTO TRACKS Mistertower 12-20-2011 - 16:02
  Re: SACRAMENTO TRACKS BOB R 12-20-2011 - 16:15
  Re: SACRAMENTO TRACKS theconductor 12-20-2011 - 17:23
  Re: SACRAMENTO TRACKS mook 12-20-2011 - 18:38

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com