Re: Astoria "A-Line"
Author: Brian
Date: 01-10-2012 - 20:53

I'm no expert, but the last major customer on the line is/was the mill in Clatskanie. Beyond that, they used to occasionally deliver chemical cars to the huge mill at Wauna. And maybe still do. But the mill ships product via barge, so traffic out there was never all the much.

Beyond Wauna, there are still some slides and washouts. The really big one that I saw this past spring was at Aldrich point. The cut there was completely filled in with a HUGE slide. That's gonna be spendy to remove if they ever do. Landlocked behind that slide on the Astoria side, are well cars being stored for as far as the eye can see. Same type that you probably saw at Westport on the siding. Gotta be hundreds of them. Same slide blocked the access to the boat ramp out there and you basically have to 4 wheel drive over part of the slide to the get to the boat ramp, which some folks do..with boats in tow!

Speaking of the caboose at Westport, I don't recall seeing one there the last time I was in the area. Maybe be used for reverse moves?

Brian McCamish
Oregon Pacific Railroad
[www.oregonpacificrr.com]

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Astoria "A-Line" S. Thomas 01-10-2012 - 16:11
  Re: Astoria "A-Line" Brian 01-10-2012 - 20:53
  Re: Astoria "A-Line" Arlen Sheldrake 01-10-2012 - 22:04
  Re: Astoria "A-Line" Joshua Kind 01-10-2012 - 22:06
  Re: Astoria "A-Line" S. Thomas 01-11-2012 - 15:34

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com