On Tuesday San Joaquin #713 Hit a Trespasser Just North of Fresno
Author: Marty Bernard
Date: 02-23-2012 - 19:19

I happened to be nearby with my scanner on. The first thing I heard was the dispatcher saying "I'm taking an emergency call." For at least 15 minutes all chatter on the line stopped while she handled the problem.

I decided not to go there and investigate. I figured they sure didn't need a railfan carrying a camera. Minutes earlier I had photographed the train a little north of the station.

After location was established and emergency help was called, the dispatcher asked the conductor three questions. (Note all quotes are to the best of my memory.)

"Were any grade crossings blocked?" "No."

"Were there parallel tracks that would be effected?" "Just a spur with no one on it."

"How's your crew?" "Fine." Then the conductor said something about the engineer which I could not understand.

Later the conductor said, "He's alive." And the dispatcher said, "That's good."

Later the dispatcher asked if they could see any earphones so the trespasser could not have heard the 'whistle'. The response was to the negative.

This was done very professionally. The dispatcher continued to dispatch for the rest of the day including 713.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  On Tuesday San Joaquin #713 Hit a Trespasser Just North of Fresno Marty Bernard 02-23-2012 - 19:19

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com