Re: This clock is Correct
Author: Glen Icanberry
Date: 03-04-2012 - 23:58

The sign shown on the link is likely for real. This type sign was put up next to the newer electric standard clocks that were more easily reset to the correct time. The sign with the holder for the placards was normally associated with the big mercury pendulum standard clocks.

Resetting the electric clocks was only a matter of calling the Santa Fe Time Service in Topeka, listening to the recording, then setting the clock using the stem, and/or a start/stop button. Resetting the mercury pendulum standard clocks was supposed to be accomplished by temporarily placing small brass weights on the top or bottom of the pendulum, near the glass tubes of mercury. The change in weight could either speed up or slow down the pendulum's swing. This of course required time to allow the clock to slow down or speed up to the correct time, and removal of the added weight when the correct time was achieved. However it was also acceptable to simply move the clock's hands to the correct time, checked against the recording at Santa Fe Time Service in Topeka. However, only employees designated to wind the mercury pendulum clocks were permitted to regulate and check them. There are also adjustments on the pendulum itself which screw the glass tubes up or down on the pendulum shaft, thus effecting how fast or slow the clock ran. However this adjustment was normally left to designated Santa Fe clock people to adjust. It is very sensitive, even screwing it down or up less than a quarter of a turn could cause the clock to run too slow or too fast respectively. Getting it back to proper regulation can take weeks of checking and adjusting, if not done correctly.

Talking about the brass weights: Some of the tiny brass weights were lost. I noted several mercury pendulum clocks that had pieces of paper clips cut to different lengths to be utilized as a replacement for the tiny brass weights. Yet the same procedure of placing the bits of paper clips on the top or bottom of the pendulum worked just fine.

I had been taught to respect and regulate the mercury pendulum clock in the crew lobby of the depot at Calwa. The operators were supposed to check the standard clock at least once a shift, by phoning the Santa Fe Time Service recording in Topeka. Near the beginning of a midnight shift, about 1982, I noted the clock was sow by about four seconds. Therefore I changed the placard to read "Four Seconds Slow." Then I wound the clock and applied the bits of paper clip to the pendulum, to speed it up. I got busy and the next time I checked the clock was running fast. Therefore I changed the placard accordingly, and moved the bits of paper clip to slow the clock down. Again I got busy handling train orders etc., and the clock was running several seconds slow, therefore the placard and placement of the paper clip bits was changed again. This happened at least once more during the night, of my letting the clock get too fast or too slow.

The clock was only about two seconds slow when Jim Lynes, the regular daylight operator, came in to relieve me in the morning. While writing up the operators' transfer I mentioned my attempts to regulate the mercury pendulum clock. Jim Lynes being the old head that he was, went into the lobby, opened the clock's wooden case, then grabbed the pendulum shaft. He quickly quickly shoved it side to side to force the clock to gain the needed seconds. He then placed the paper clip bits back in the bottom of the case. Jim quipped something like, "There, back on correct Santa Fe time!"

Jim Lynes normally started every morning with "Take down the blue flags, it is time to run the trains!" J.T. Lynes also had another classic, "You would think that someone forgot trains have headlights, they run them all on the day shift!" He of course was kidding, as he knew full well that there were normally more trains through Calwa on second and third tricks. It was just his way of jabbing at the old head clerks, some of whom did as little as possible during the day shift. He was one of the last of the old time telegraphers, used to working hard and fast when the need arose, while cheerfully making the work look easy.

Glen Icanberry
Redlands, CA

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  This clock is Correct Severe Duty 03-03-2012 - 23:26
  Re: This clock is Correct Graham Buxton 03-04-2012 - 05:53
  Re: This clock is Correct Severe Duty 03-04-2012 - 08:15
  Re: This clock is Correct Glen Icanberry 03-04-2012 - 23:58
  Re: This clock is Correct...and how! Severe Duty 03-05-2012 - 14:44

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com