Re: Alan DeMoss R.I.P.
Author: BOB2
Date: 03-19-2012 - 19:56

One of the names on the employee timetables of my distant misspent youth.

DeMoss was very typical of SP guys from the time, vrtually all of that class were proteges of Biaggini, who hated passenger service. He spent a fortune on the analysis of how the Jerry Brown/Adrianna Gianturco Ventura County Commuter train would ruin the SP single handedly in 1979, by a noted national logistics firm to oppose service at the PUC. But, at the PUC hearings under cross, the expert had to point out that the main reason SP couldn't operate the commuter train was because SP's operations on the Coast were virtually random, without any meaningful planning for capacity use, were totally inefficient in the use of available capacity, and that the ongoing operations at that time were pretty screwed up.

Needless to say, SP was a little embarrassed, but it pointed out the lack of effective operations planning and management that was increasingly plaguing SP in the later years, and would later plague UP in the years after the merger.

The issues that were raised on passenger/freight shared use are still the basis for many of the tradeoffs we are still trying to deal with on things like passenger operating rights versus freight, operations priorities, maintenance and infrasturcuture expenses, and who pays and/or bears the costs. So while DeMoss was pushing the SP "party line" of the time on passenger, the issues that were raised back then, are still the same big issues the issues on the table, today.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Alan DeMoss R.I.P. OPRRMS 03-19-2012 - 14:26
  Re: Alan DeMoss R.I.P. Jim 03-19-2012 - 15:41
  Re: Alan DeMoss R.I.P. WAF 03-19-2012 - 16:02
  Re: Alan DeMoss R.I.P. Carol L. Voss 03-19-2012 - 19:07
  Re: Alan DeMoss R.I.P. BOB2 03-19-2012 - 19:56
  Re: Alan DeMoss R.I.P. Ralphie Valladares 03-20-2012 - 19:08
  Re: Alan DeMoss R.I.P. John West 03-21-2012 - 08:37

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com