Re: steam rotary snow plow
Author: Kevin Madore
Date: 06-03-2012 - 06:41

Folks,

Northern Snowman is correct. I don't believe that either of the two D&RGW Rotaries that remain on the Cumbres & Toltec has operated since 1997, and neither is likely to run anytime soon. Both would require a fair amount of maintenance to put them back in working order, and from an economic standpoint, there is no incentive for the railroad to do it. Whatever winter snow-pack remains each spring is typically cleared with snow-cats or bulldozers, because it is much cheaper to do it that way. Yes, a rotary run might attract a lot of enthusiasts, but it just doesn't make sense to pour a ton of money into a piece of equipment that might be used for just a few days a year.

To my knowledge, the only remaining steam rotary in North America that still operates is #1 on the White Pass & Yukon. The WP&YR has a VERY successful tourist business, with captive customers pouring off the cruise ships from May to September. Last year, I believe that 370,000 folks paid the $116 to ride the round trip from Skagway to White Pass, so they are in a financial position to maintain the historic snow fleet. Even at White Pass however, the winter snows are typically cleared each spring with bulldozers, because again, that is the most economical way to do it. Every few years however, they trot out the steam equipment and do a rotary run. I was fortunate to be able to attend the 2011 event. Our plow train consisted of Rotary #1, pushed by Steam Engines 73 and 69, with the former SVRy Combine 211 as a "caboose". There were 17 folks who made the journey all the way to Skagway and paid the railway to ride a chartered, diesel-powered chase train. Every last one of us was thoroughly delighted with the experience. I've put together a little photo album on RailPictures.net, so you can take a look at what it was like:

White Pass Rotary Event 2011

Not sure when or if they will do it again, but all of us who attended the 2011 event demanded first right of refusal if they ever do! :o)

/Kevin

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  steam rotary snow plow tom rodgers 06-02-2012 - 20:33
  Re: steam rotary snow plow DH 06-02-2012 - 20:52
  Re: steam rotary snow plow Northern Snowman 06-02-2012 - 21:29
  Re: steam rotary snow plow Kevin Madore 06-03-2012 - 06:41
  Re: WP&Y Richard Kopf 06-03-2012 - 08:02
  Re: steam rotary snow plow Glen Brewer 06-03-2012 - 08:35
  Re: steam rotary snow plow DH 06-03-2012 - 08:52
  Re: steam rotary snow plow Short line guy 06-03-2012 - 09:19
  Re: steam rotary snow plow SP5103 06-03-2012 - 10:52

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com