Re: A Stranger in a Strange Land, Ithaca, MI July 2009
Author: Edward L. Johnson
Date: 06-29-2012 - 18:08

Drew,

Thank you for posting the photo of S.P. 4-8-4 4449 at Ithaca, MI. My wife Diana and I were in the Milw. full dome car on that rainy July 23, 2009. On the return, the sun came out at the Woodland Park photo run.

That was my first and so far only ride behind the S.P. painted 4449. My first encounter was in 1976 in the corn fields of Illinois near Rochelle, IL., when the 4449 was painted for the American Freedom Train. The "small" 4449 could not go east of Chicago, IL. because it was too BIG. When the 4449 came east in 2009, it had to run a freight route from Chicago, IL. to Michigan City, IN., because the skirting was too wide for the Amtrak route to Michigan City. The passenger cars went on the Amtrak route.

I grew up in Holt, MI. which is 8 miles south of Lansing, MI. I rode many fan trips behind GTW U-4-b 4-8-4's including one through Owasso.

The last time I was in California was 1952. Remember seeing S.P. Cab Forwards in Davis, CA. I was 11 years old!

Keep the great photos coming Drew,

Ed Johnson
Peoria, IL.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  A Stranger in a Strange Land, Ithaca, MI July 2009 Drew Jacksich 06-27-2012 - 01:33
  Re: A Stranger in a Strange Land, Ithaca, MI July 2009 douglasm 06-27-2012 - 16:02
  Re: A Stranger in a Strange Land, Ithaca, MI July 2009 Tom Moungovan 06-28-2012 - 06:58
  Re: A Stranger in a Strange Land, Ithaca, MI July 2009 Edward L. Johnson 06-29-2012 - 18:08

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com