Re: Keyroute Ken - Shout out
Author: KRK
Date: 07-11-2012 - 13:32

Thank you, Sir Steve for the nice comments.. I'm hoping that not only railfans BUT also the number of oldtime SP employees the Magazine goes out to, will enjoy the article and bring back memories for them. When I wrote the story, it was published in "The Western Railroader".
Then I placed it in three parts on both Altamont Press and Trainorders.com and got some nice reviews.
Tony Johnson in Medford, OR said it was GREAT and needed to somehow get into "S-P TRAINLINE".
So-- I sent a copy and some photos to John Signor--the Editor. He loved it. Then, he got together with "Photobob" in Dunsmuir and added some more truly marvelous photos to the original article I wrote and brought it up to FOURTEEN pages, which I thought was amazing..
Then, he totally blew me away with still another surprise...

Most everyone on here knows about my grandfather who worked in West Oakland for many years on the SP, and who built some 20+ live steam scale locomotives..
One of his favorite SP 'Pacifics' was P-4 Class # 2422 which he made three models of...

In the TRAINLINE article is a night photo of Train 255 (I think it was) from San Jose, pulling in at the Mole under the Great Sheds. The locomotive pulling that train is the 2422...
That just completely blew me away!!!

On still another topic, Steve... John Signor wants me to write the story of how the mighty Southern Pacific came to the rescue of the Golden Gate Live Steamers in Oakland, CA during the 1948-1951 time frame and went all out with both manpower and material, to build the Club's first outdoor track in Oakland's Redwood Regional Park some sixty-three years ago. Something that NO Class 1 railroad today would ever think of doing...

SO-- I went ahead and wrote it. I hope everyone will like it when it appears in a future issue of **S-P TRAINLINE** ... The Title ??? ***STEAM TRAINS IN THE PARK***

Thanks, Steve.

KRK

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Keyroute Ken - Shout out Steve Carter 07-11-2012 - 11:44
  Re: Keyroute Ken - Shout out KRK 07-11-2012 - 13:32
  Re: Keyroute Ken - Shout out Sasquatch 07-11-2012 - 15:52

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com