Re: The REAL Jim Speaker
Author: Mistertower
Date: 10-02-2012 - 11:26

All right, all right. I have to add my observation here. There is a club called Pacific Railroad Society in the Los Angeles Area. They used to hold a "Slide Contest" every October. Jim would show up for that Contest, and the first thing he would do is find the membership chairman, fill out a membership card, pay the dues, enter the contest, and usually win 1st or 2nd Place. He would not renew in April the following year and membership would lapse. Finally after this happened for about 3 years in a row, Herb Johnson, a member since 1963 and now deceased, and Herb Iske who is no longer a member and is keeping an extreme low profile these days for what ever reason, filed a formal complaint with the Society against Jim and said this wasn't fair to the rest of the members who maintained their membership. The club took it up at the Board of Director's Meeting and the by-laws of the club was changed to state that you needed to have 1 or more continous years as a member of the club to be eligible to enter slides in the contest. When that happened, Jim got extremely mad and said, "The hell with this group!" and to my knowledge, he hasn't had anything to do with the club since. Also, before this became a club rule, he would show up at the meetings after his membership would lapse, and sell his slides at the membership meetings. This made several other members mad, and they once again, filed a formal complaint against Jim. The club then made a rule that said Jim Speaker and anyone else who was not a member could not sell slides or other items and club meetings, unless specific written permission/clearance was received from the club in advance, because Jim and others were indeed not members. This info. per PRS Board Meeting Minutes from the mid 1980s. I'll back PRS up all the way on that one. This is so simple to understand, that even a little baby could figure it out. As for Jim, he got very offended and couldn't understand this and/or figure it out, and probably doesn't today for all I know. I haven't seen him since the early 1990s, and that was just by sure coincidence. As UP Engineer Jim P. Wells would say, "Operate Safely."

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  "Jim Speaker" and the Big Hole God 10-02-2012 - 05:56
  Re: "Jim Speaker" and the Big Hole smitty195 10-02-2012 - 06:25
  Re: "Jim Speaker" and the Big Hole John Bromley 10-02-2012 - 06:40
  Re: "Jim Speaker" and the Big Hole Shortline Sammie 10-02-2012 - 08:40
  Re: "Jim Speaker" and the Big Hole God 10-02-2012 - 08:57
  Re: I'll shove him up your Big Hole Ehh 10-02-2012 - 09:48
  The REAL Jim Speaker Jim's neighbor 10-02-2012 - 10:31
  Re: The REAL Jim Speaker DB 10-02-2012 - 10:41
  Re: The REAL Jim Speaker BD 10-02-2012 - 10:51
  Re: The REAL Jim Speaker Mistertower 10-02-2012 - 11:26
  Re: The REAL Jim Speaker Moochk 10-02-2012 - 11:28