Re: Camas Prarie Railroad
Author: Bruce Kelly
Date: 10-10-2012 - 20:04

Since the CSP Yahoo group has been kinda quiet lately regarding current ops, I'll lay out the bare basics from what I've heard and observed in recent months.

The line west from Lewiston along the Snake River is now the Great Northwest Railroad. What CSP used to call the Downriver train is now called the Ayer Turn, heading west from Lewiston more on an as-needed basis (several times a week) than the Sun-Fri scheduled it used to have. Departure typically mid-day to late afternoon, entering UP trackage at Riparia, WA, then onto UP's Ayer Sub main at Ayer Jct., to reach the small interchange yard at Ayer. Return trip eastward is normally in the evening, but last week they had one trip that came back into Lewiston in the morning.

Switching in and around the paper mill in East Lewiston is pretty much daily.

East of Lewiston, up the Clearwater River toward Kooskia, trackage is operated by the Bountiful Grain & Craig Mountain. This line has been hit hard by the housing slump, with mills at Kamiah and the lumber reload at Kooskia being closed and reopened so often, I've lost track. Not even sure if they're loading grain shuttles at Greer anymore. But the lumber reload at North Lapwai, just west of the junction at Spalding, seems to have at least a half dozen cars on spot whenever I pass through there.

BGCM is also in charge of what's left of the line up onto the Camas Prairie itself. Track has been removed from Lawyer's Canyon bridge to Grangeville. There was a lot of talk about restoring service to the grain elevators at Craigmont, but for more than a decade it's been little more than talk. Some track and bridge work was done here and there, but then they lost a large trestle to fire in Lapwai Canyon a year or two ago. So operations on the former Grangeville line have been limited to occasional runs to Lapwai, just a few miles onto the branch, for peas or grain. There have been periods of car storage on the line, with empty centerbeams and other cars being shoved south a couple miles beyond Culdesac. Many of them have been pulled out. Couldn't tell you how much storage they have there right now.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Camas Prarie Railroad Bruce 10-10-2012 - 18:36
  Re: Camas Prarie Railroad Bruce Kelly 10-10-2012 - 20:04
  Re: Camas Prairie Railroad George Andrews 10-10-2012 - 20:07
  Re: Camas Prairie Railroad Bruce 10-10-2012 - 20:50

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com