Re: Ex-Spirit of Washington F-units
Author: SP5103
Date: 11-12-2012 - 12:04

Before Roy, at east one of the C415's ran out of Tillamook on a tour train. These were both Bob Steele's operations.

Bob Steele bought both of the Port of Tillamooks GE 80 tons, and I believe both were scrapped by late 1993.

The two C415s (one xSP) and a slug were originally purchased by Bob Steele jointly with the Port of Tillamook Bay. The idea was for Steele to use one of the units on his tour train, and the Port to use the other unit to switch Banks. The Port commission made the deal with Steele turning down the staff's recomendation to buy another xSP SD-9 (that was later sold by the dealer for a higher price to Trona). To my knowledge, the Port never used the Alcos for freight service, and I don't know what the actual deal with Steele and Associates was. The slug apparently met the same fate as the GE 80 tons in Tillamook. I have seen pictures that one of the 80 tons was used for a while with some xBN cabooses on a tour train to the Port.

Shortline Sammie might have some better information. Lacking dynamics, the C415s were not the ideal engines for operations on the grade areas of the Tillamook branch or the Mt. Hood. I stumbled into the Alcos on their way east at Garrrison, Montana - not sure the routing they took.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Ex-Spirit of Washington F-units Scott Schiechl 11-10-2012 - 13:00
  Just to be safe.. Pdxrailtransit 11-10-2012 - 13:03
  Re: Just to be safe.. Duuuuude 11-10-2012 - 16:45
  Re: Ex-Spirit of Washington F-units George Jenista 11-11-2012 - 21:02
  Re: Ex-Spirit of Washington F-units OPRRMS 11-12-2012 - 01:00
  Re: Ex-Spirit of Washington F-units SP5103 11-12-2012 - 12:04
  Re: Ex-Spirit of Washington F-units Erik H. 11-14-2012 - 07:22

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com