BNSF Ruston Tunnel question
Author: Dan Hein
Date: 12-11-2012 - 20:04

My son and I were in the Tacoma area yesterday with some time to kill, so after a visit to D Street, we headed out to find the Nelson Bennett tunnel, following the tracks along the waterfront. Having not been in the area before, I was surprised to first find the shorter Ruston Tunnel 1 (321 feet in length per my Altamont Press Timetable 8). What really surprised us, however, is that it appeared the tunnel had very little in the amount of rock, soil, whatever, atop it and looked like a good candidate for day-lighting. Maybe some of the top had recently been scraped away as it looked like a new subdivision was going in just up the hill to the south. What appeared to be a new temporary bridge was just on the outside edge of the south portal with the portal's date of 1913 just above and at the edge of the sidewalk. The bridge was not open for traffic and had a load limit of just 7000 pounds. Could someone give a little insight into what is going on? Thanks for your answers.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  BNSF Ruston Tunnel question Dan Hein 12-11-2012 - 20:04
  Re: BNSF Ruston Tunnel question up833 12-12-2012 - 00:08
  Re: BNSF Ruston Tunnel question WAF 12-12-2012 - 13:52
  Re: BNSF Ruston Tunnel question BN Oly 12-12-2012 - 17:35
  Thanks for the followup info Dan Hein 12-12-2012 - 18:56
  Re: Thanks for the followup info Steve Thompson 12-14-2012 - 06:39

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com