Re: Oregon RDC's July 2005
Author: J.B.Bane
Date: 01-07-2013 - 12:07

They were purchased by the Wallowa Union Rail Authority for use on the Joseph Branch. They are currently sitting in the yard at Elgin, Ore. They have seen some limited use for hauling fisherman in and out of the Wallowa river canyon during steel head season. They have also been used as coaches behind one of the GP7's. At one point I heard they were going to be offered for sale, but not sure if that is still likely. They were found to be expensive to maintain due to each being regarded as a locomotive by FRA requiring 92 day inspections. Having a small amount of sweat equity in working on them myself, I don't see them as a good investment for WURA as each unit had numerous modifications to their electrical systems so each is unique and pretty complex with no manuals/diagrams to help troubleshooting. I believe one of the units has never been reliable due to various gremlins. My impression is the brake systems are pretty complex for what they do as well using system components not so common. My impression is that parts and service info for the elderly GP7's are far easier to come by. In the perfect world I think they should go to an operator that has more RDC's and is prepared to deal with their idiosyncrasies.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Oregon RDC's July 2005 Drew Jacksich 01-07-2013 - 00:30
  Re: Oregon RDC's July 2005 Milw-E74 01-07-2013 - 11:35
  Re: Oregon RDC's July 2005 J.B.Bane 01-07-2013 - 12:07
  Re: Oregon RDC's July 2005 Arlen Sheldrake 01-07-2013 - 18:00
  Re: Oregon RDC's July 2005 SP5103 01-08-2013 - 10:32
  Re: Oregon RDC's July 2005 J.B.Bane 01-08-2013 - 11:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com