Re: BRLAT at Ravenna - 1987
Author: DCA
Date: 01-24-2013 - 10:54

Very interesting photos. I especially enjoyed those showing the Second District bridge over the LA River. They also show SP's yard that was just north of the bridge. When I worked out of First Street as a switchman in the 60's we often took transfers to the SP, leaving our main just prior to the grade up to the bridge. I don't recall what that SP yard was called. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate hearing back. Just curious.

The Sixth Street bridge also brings back memories, as when I first went on the extra board I was often assigned to the switchtender job, with the shack virtually under the west side of the bridge. The job had a lot of responsibility, as you had to be cognizant of the many passenger trains on both mains while letting freights in and out of First Street yard. All the crossovers were of course manual switches. Throwing the first one on the yard lead turned the eastbound signals red, then you waited five minutes before lining the main. Many road freights terminated at First Street after dropping part of their trains at Hobart. They had to be crossed over the EB main from the WB main to enter the yard.

The bridge had an ungated concrete ramp going down into the concrete river bed and I sometimes took my motorcycle down to the mostly dry river (summer time) with no problem. The ramp was used by the LAFD on occasion to access the riverbed to practice hose operations.

One photo shows a standing wave during winter rain flow. If the rains got heavy, the bridge supports in mid-river would cause a large "roostertail" to form on the upstream side of the support. Pretty impressive.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  BRLAT at Ravenna - 1987 Pdxrailtransit 01-22-2013 - 18:35
  Re: BRLAT at Ravenna - 1987 SLOCONDR 01-23-2013 - 17:35
  Re: BRLAT at Ravenna - 1987 Pdxrailtransit 01-23-2013 - 19:33
  Re: BRLAT at Ravenna - 1987 DCA 01-24-2013 - 10:54
  Thanks DCA Pdxrailtransit 01-24-2013 - 12:19

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com