Author: Freericks
Date: 02-01-2013 - 14:40

Pdxrailtransit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Charles,
>
> If a person had an entire free day to chase SoCal
> locals, what you say would be the best bet for a
> productive chase with good photo posiblities?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peedex

That's tough, becasue they are spread out.

A Tuesday morning in Colton/Riverside, should get you the old Riverside Local around 8AM at the wigwag on 9th Street and then switching over the bridge by Griffin Wheel. Then head down to Champion Lumber in Riverside and shoot the Cheesburger Local. Hopefully you get back to the San Jac in time to get the San Jac going into Box Canyon (it can switch the old UP customer by the erstwhile diamond too).

Assuming you got all this done by 10:30, I would drive up to Pomona to see if the Pasadena Local is working there. If it is, you can catch it going west at the cantelever in Glendora and the station in Azusa.

Another idea might be on a Monday or Friday morning to go shoot the Costa Mesa (chasing from Anaheim south - only part you can't chase is while on SCAX tracks - too fast). Then I would head up to La Mirada to shoot one of the La Mirada jobs (I've often caught two of them doing this). Then over to Buena Park to get the Buena Park at lunch time (not a lot of good shots, but the crossing at County Line is good). Then back to Anaheim for the La Mirada.

You can go up to Oxnard and get the Oxnard Local in the early morning and then the Ventura County in the mid morning - but the VCRY is a tough one to shoot. Most of its switching is in inaccessible areas, so you wait and wait and wait for it (and it's always facing north).

Those are all things I've done. There are probably other ideas in there (I would think the Mira Loma morning job can be easily combined with the UP Kaiser yard jobs, for example).

Is there a particular place you want to go to? I can put on my thinking cap for it.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  So Cal Local Freight Guide updates Freericks 02-01-2013 - 08:51
  Re: So Cal Local Freight Guide updates Pdxrailtransit 02-01-2013 - 11:48
  Re: So Cal Local Freight Guide updates Freericks 02-01-2013 - 14:40
  Re: So Cal Local Freight Guide updates Pdxrailtransit 02-01-2013 - 15:21
  Re: So Cal Local Freight Guide updates Freericks 02-01-2013 - 19:55
  Re: So Cal Local Freight Guide updates Engine 1 02-01-2013 - 21:12

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com