Re: Fun Day in the Tehachapi's
Author: Gary Hunter
Date: 02-18-2013 - 15:10

Robert, it seems that there is a consensus among the responders, including myself, that shots 2, 3 and 4 are stunning and the first is just not well lit. This happens to everyone once in a while in that you have to take the shot at the moment, irrespective of the conditions and hope for the best. What I suggest will not necessarily get a favorable critical review, but it will help to bring out the best possible amount of detail in the dark areas. If your photo program has a "levels" adjustment, use it to bring up the darker parts to "mid-level". It creates a variation of ideal contrast as the light areas will be closer to mid and so will the dark (compression). Some will complain that the contrast will be destroyed, which is at least partially true, but if you have an unacceptable virtual silhouette of a pic, you have nothing to lose. Even auto-exposure systems in cameras don't always get the right exposure in lower light levels, so it may take a little "p-shopping" to correct the camera errors. Slide and film scanners also do these kinds of tricks with auto exposure. I recommend using a copy of the original to do the modifications. If you can, read up on using the histogram and associated level adjustments. I hope that's helpful. If you want an adjusted version, just to illustrate contact me: hunter.gary@att.net

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Fun Day in the Tehachapi's MP 44.7 02-17-2013 - 19:21
  Re: Fun Day in the Tehachapi's Pdxrailtransit 02-17-2013 - 19:26
  Re: Fun Day in the Tehachapi's Marty Bernard 02-17-2013 - 19:50
  Re: Fun Day in the Tehachapi's MP 44.7 02-17-2013 - 20:46
  Re: Fun Day in the Tehachapi's JR 02-17-2013 - 22:30
  Re: Fun Day in the Tehachapi's MP 44.7 02-17-2013 - 22:41
  Re: Fun Day in the Tehachapi's Brian Rubino 02-18-2013 - 07:32
  Re: Fun Day in the Tehachapi's MP 44.7 02-18-2013 - 08:11
  Re: Fun Day in the Tehachapi's Gary Hunter 02-18-2013 - 15:10
  Another approach to shooting non-sunlit scenes Pdxrailtransit 02-18-2013 - 16:08

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com