Southern 630 - '21st Century Steam'
Author: James P
Date: 03-15-2013 - 17:20

Hi all,

While some on the west coast attended Winterail this past weekend, in the east Southern Railway 2-8-0 #630 led a couple of NS '21st Century Steam' excursions originating in Bristol VA/TN. On Saturday March 9th, 630 headed north on the former Norfolk & Western line to Radford, VA. On Sunday the 10th, she pulled an excursion south to Bulls Gap, TN on former Southern Railway trackage. Both lines feature an almost constant up and down profile, and 630 sounded good climbing the grades. Here's a little video I shot over the weekend.
[www.youtube.com]

This was my first time witnessing NS steam. Growing up in New York I always wanted to see 611 and 1218, but never got the chance. I remember my father telling me we'd make a trip down south to see Norfolk Southern steam next year. Needless to say, by next year NS had pulled the plug on the original steam program and we never made that trip. I've learned never to take anything for granted since then; there may not be a next year.

-James
[www.steamtrainvideos.com]

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Southern 630 - '21st Century Steam' James P 03-15-2013 - 17:20

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com