Re: Bombs in Roseville yard-yes I believe there was?
Author: BOB2
Date: 04-12-2013 - 09:00

In the dim recesses, I believe I do recall such a film, or instructional video, to that effect...

I know that this and the Houston Yard "rocket launch" stirred a whole slew of hazmat training, identification, and attention back in the mid-late 70's, that had been lacking, prior.

I couldn't believe that we shipped navy bombs in these ancient piece of crap, 1940's, wood floor, journal bearing equipped, DODX box cars, but they came through Taylor all the time during the late Viet Nam period. After Roseville, they moved bomb shipments to modern steel floor, roller bearing, cars, without identification, other than the tags.

The bombs at Roseville were a side show compared to some of the new discoveries that were made about the vulnerabilities of the newly arrived first generation of jumbo hazmat tankers full of lovely stuff like CNG and vinyl chloride. It became noticeable, after a few incidents, that theses had an uncanny ability to puncture, even in a very low speeds derailment, and rupture, then burn or explode, and at very high temperature, melt the tank welds and/or at the puncture point ignition, and sometimes tend to occasionally "rocket", with the rapid oxidation of so much fuel. End plates welded on these tankers and K-trains were one early result of that discovery, top locking couplers came later.

There were a slew of videos on inspection and what to do with hazmat back then, and there is also a very good documentary video account of the Roseville explosion I've seen on, and can't recall what show. There was a great piece on the Roseville explosion in the SPHSTS publication a while back.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Bombs in Roseville yard Big Hoss 04-11-2013 - 20:57
  Re: Bombs in Roseville yard-yes I believe there was? BOB2 04-12-2013 - 09:00
  Re: Bombs in Roseville yard Mr. G 04-12-2013 - 09:28
  Re: Bombs in Roseville yard KRK 04-12-2013 - 09:34
  Re: Bombs in Roseville yard KRK 04-12-2013 - 09:40
  Re: Bombs in Roseville yard E 04-16-2013 - 17:52

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com