Railtown 1897 and Sierra #3
Author: Kevin Madore
Date: 05-15-2013 - 05:18

One of Americas hidden railroad history treasures is the Jamestown, CA roundhouse complex and its stable of locomotives. Now known as Railtown 1897 State Historic Park, part of the California State Railroad Museum, the facility was recently threatened with closure due to budget cuts. Fortunately, local interests have combined to fund its continued opeation at least for the near-term. The place is unique and deserves to be preserved for future generations. It is one of only two original steam roundhouse complexes that I am aware of that still house operational locomotives that are indigenous to the line....in this case, the Sierra Railway Company of California.

The locomotives of Jamestown hold another distinction. They are some of the most photographed locomotives in history, having served the TV and movie industries for generations. Perhaps the greatest treasure at Railtown is Sierra #3, which has the most impressive list of TV and movie credits imaginable. As kid back in the 60s, it was #3's appearances in TV series such as "Petticoat Junction" and "Iron Horse" that kindled my life-long interest in steam locomotives and their preservation.

In September of 2012, I made my second visit to Railtown, and was lucky enough to have a beautiful, sunny day on which to grab a few pics of the place. Here are a few samples:

Fueling #3 in front of the roundhouse

At the "Hooterville Water Tower"

Adjusting the lubricator in the cab

Running in California's gold country

Charging up grade toward Jamestown

Posing at the turntable in nice light

If you're ever in the Sacramento area, Railtown is about a 2 hour drive to the south. It's definitely worth a visit and you'll find the staff there to be an incredibly nice group of folks!

/Kevin

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Railtown 1897 and Sierra #3 Kevin Madore 05-15-2013 - 05:18
  Re: Railtown 1897 and Sierra #3 BOB R 05-15-2013 - 14:43

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com