Re: Go karts on the tracks
Author: ex-BN
Date: 09-19-2013 - 21:48

People will post how wrong this is and how it will give rail enthusiasts a bad name (too late) but really it looks like they are having fun. Yes, they think taking pictures of themselves drinking beer is really cool but so what? If they want to add a frat-house element to their reputations that's their business. And the liability aspect? Its true that they might sue the owner of the track for injury but if I was on the jury I'd award them a goose egg. Not that I wouldn't feel sympathy for them but it is in no way the RR's fault that someone got on their track and caused self inflicted injury. You don't see people suing bridge owners when someone jumps.

So if you want to complain about these outlaws stop and think. Aren't you just a little jealous you its not you going for a ride? I think it looks like fun but I'm in no hurry to do it--been paid to ride the rails for a long time now. I don't need to do it on my day off.

All that said, I do think the speed they travel is dangerous. I've seen motor cars, machines, hi-rails hit the dirt and the lighter the equipment the easier it can happen. I (and the rest of the crew) were thrown off a derailing Burro crane (the hand crank type) at speed just before going over a 100' high trestle and came very close to missing the next 35 years of railroading.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Go karts on the tracks Allen Meyers 09-19-2013 - 20:46
  Re: Go karts on the tracks ex-BN 09-19-2013 - 21:48
  Re: Go karts on the tracks Dilbert 09-19-2013 - 22:09
  Re: Go karts on the tracks Pdxrailtransit 09-19-2013 - 22:23
  Re: Go karts on the tracks DN 09-19-2013 - 22:48
  Re: Go karts on the tracks Jim Fitzgerald 09-20-2013 - 13:51
  Re: Go karts on the tracks KRK 09-20-2013 - 17:18
  Re: Go karts on the tracks KRK 09-20-2013 - 09:08
  but who cares? we do when they sue! Taxpayer 09-20-2013 - 07:24

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com