Re: AIr Brakes on Cajon Pass
Author: SP5103
Date: 11-19-2013 - 16:24

Most modern diesel-electric locomotives are capable of a self load test using their dynamics, but the primary purpose is to determine if the diesel prime mover is capable of putting out its full horsepower. The propulsion and dynamic circuits are not tested during a load test.

Modern dynamic brake systems can detect if there is an open circuit in the resistance grids or the related cooling fans.

I'm not sure to what degree modern locos can monitor their dynamic brake systems and notify the engineer if they aren't functioning as expected. There was a recommendation years ago that the engineer be able to monitor at least the dynamic brake amps of trailing units from the controlling unit, but I'm not sure that ever happened though I have heard of a similar system used on some cab cars. To my knowledge, the recommendation never was acted further on as far as becoming a regulation.

M-K now MPI track tests their new/rebuilt/repaired locos by doubleheading them, one in dynamics and one in power working them against each other.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  AIr Brakes on Cajon Pass SP5103 11-17-2013 - 14:43
  Re: AIr Brakes on Cajon Pass Dr Zarkoff 11-17-2013 - 18:04
  Re: AIr Brakes on Cajon Pass SP5103 11-17-2013 - 20:53
  Re: AIr Brakes on Cajon Pass George Andrews 11-19-2013 - 09:15
  Re: AIr Brakes on Cajon Pass SP5103 11-19-2013 - 16:24
  Re: AIr Brakes on Cajon Pass Mark 11-20-2013 - 15:54
  Re: AIr Brakes on Cajon Pass - Ethernet over MU cables mook 11-20-2013 - 16:11

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com