Woodland & Island Ave. Philadelphia May 1976
Author: Drew Jacksich
Date: 02-27-2014 - 23:12

May of 1976, I was 29 years old at the time and was on my first trip East of Denver with PCC's in Philly my primary objective. SEPTA's PCC fleet had been decimated in a carbarn fire the year before so service was sketchy, even with a group of cars brought from Toronto. Above that, labor issues were rampant with motormen refusing to take out cars with the slightest defects. The paint schemes were varied, a mix of old CT colors, Bi-Centennial cars and some in the newly adopted "Gulf Oil".

The first weekday afternoon I was there, I found myself at Woodland and Island Ave terminal photographing PCC #2679 in 36-line service heading back downtown. #2679 was one of SEPTA'S air/electric St. Louis built cars from wartime 1942 inherited from PTC.

The 36 line still operates today but with the so called "K" (for Kawasaki). PCC #2679 would be scrapped in 1982, the terminal itself would become part of the new Woodland shop, thus nothing in this photo still exists.

ps---I am reworking some of my older scans in PS Elements and writing better captions.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/12829243773_b96943cf17_b.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Woodland & Island Ave. Philadelphia May 1976 Drew Jacksich 02-27-2014 - 23:12
  Re: Woodland & Island Ave. Philadelphia May 1976 HUTCH 7.62 02-28-2014 - 07:46
  Re: Woodland & Island Ave. Philadelphia May 1976 Tom McCann 02-28-2014 - 11:01

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com