Re: Everett, Washington
Author: George Andrews
Date: 01-18-2008 - 16:21

First, buy yourself a Northwest Region Timetable, from right here at Altamont Press.It contains a decent map of BNSF trackage in Everett,WA. Then buy a Thomas Bros. map book for Snohomish Co. Ignore the listing in the map book that shows the Amtrak depot on the west side of town. This is the ex - GN Depot, used only by BNSF personnel these days. As Dick noted, it is worth a visit. Besides the garden, views of both the water-level freight line, and the mostly - passenger train " High Line " are available here. Best for Westbounds ( compass south ) in afternoon. Now find & drive WEST Marine View Drive, around the point & past Bayside yard. Easy shots here in afternoons.
Parking lot for small city park across street from north end of yard.Don't loiter near Navy base entrance.
Continue on around under I-5, you're now on EAST Marine View Drive. Take the kink in the road @ 14th St, then left on 15th. This is main entrance to BNSF Delta Yard. Pretty neat little place, look for run-thru CN Power & M of W goodies. I've had decent success shooting from the car, just stay out of the way & don't loiter too long. A large elevated gravel area is to the left as you turn from 15th to Winter St for longer visits. Delta yard runs compass North-South, mornings thru noon best lighting.
Amtrak/Sounder Station is on Smith south of Pacific.(This line uses a tunnel under downtown Everett, to the north & west of depot. All passenger & some freights use this line.) Sounders originate/terminate here. Rent-a-cops can be a bother. EASTbound Amtrak #8 runs compass south past PA Jct., then east towards Stevens Pass. NORTHbound Amtrak Cascades turn left on a sharp wye @ PA Jct, right under I-5, then continue north past Delta Yard & across Snohomish river drawbridge @ Delta Jct. This is the line to Vancouver, B.C.
A few suggestions: not much light this time of year, & what there is will fool you. Set the camera to over-expose a little. LOTS OF AUTO TRAFFIC; Southbound and/or Westbound in A.M., reverse @ night. All roads lead to Boeing. Use Pacific Ave. to cut across town. Sometimes it's even faster to circle around Marine View Drive. Good luck & remember, if you or any of the I.M. force are caught, I will disavow all knowledge of your actions.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  railfanning in everett? brandon b. 01-17-2008 - 13:43
  Everett, Washington Dick Seelye 01-17-2008 - 15:45
  Re: Everett, Washington George Andrews 01-18-2008 - 16:21

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com