Re: Question About a Web Cam
Author: smitty195
Date: 03-28-2014 - 03:48

I've installed web cams as part of my job both here at my house (for burglary/safety reasons) as well as at friend;s and client's homes. Since you are limited to DSL, you can't get the type of outstanding, easy, high quality camera that I was about to recommend (DropCam). You need a high speed internet connection for that to work properly, not AT&T's version of "high speed" (which is actually slow speed). Can she get cable internet in her house, or is she going to stick to DSL?

If she's going to stick to DSL, then I would recommend a very simple and cheap system called, "iCam". It's available in Apple's App Store here:

[itunes.apple.com]

It costs a whopping 99 cents (or it might be $1.99 now). Either way, it's dirt cheap. All you need to do is click on that link I gave you above, and download it from the App Store. Keep in mind that you will need to download FREE software from this company's website so that you have the software on both your computer AND your smart phone or tablet. In my case, I have it both my desktop and laptop computers, and I have the apps on my iPhone and iPad. I have 2 cameras that are always running when I'm not home. One is the built-in iSight camera on my laptop that I have aimed exactly where I want it, and the other is a USB plug-in camera that I bought separately at Best Buy (for about $75). You don't need to buy one of these----your built in camera on your computer should work fine. You only need to buy more cameras if you want more views. In my case, these two views cover all of the important areas of my house. If my central alarm system does not make the criminals go away, then the second they step inside my house they will be on color video that is immediately sent to my iPhone and iPad. You can set the sensitivity of the camera, and you can set it to alert you to movement. You can also set it to record motion or not.

It's a really excellent way to keep an eye on your house when you're not home. For train viewing purposes, all you have to do is take the laptop with the built-in camera in it and point it out the window that has the train views. Set it up however you want it, and then test it with the app on your smart phone/tablet. Now you can check in any time, 24 hours a day. You can also "rewind" to see what it picked up in the past via motion sensor.

You can't beat the price, and it's VERY reliable. I've been using it for almost three years now, and it has been flawless.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Question About a Web Cam bnsfrr805 03-27-2014 - 21:27
  Re: Question About a Web Cam smitty195 03-28-2014 - 03:48
  Re: Question About a Web Cam Patrick 04-08-2014 - 11:52

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com