Re: Track Warrant evolution and UP change today
Author: SP5103
Date: 04-02-2014 - 11:41

Ray Eiser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you meant Train Orders and not "track
> warrants" were used for over a centry.
> I don't think they had radios before telegraph and
> telephones.
>
> Ray Eiser

You are correct. My train of thought derailed. I was thinking train orders but that is not what I typed. I also see a typo where it looks like permission is granted to leave the switch open at the persimmon tree :-)

I was on the startup for a shortline in 1993. The initial conductors were a combination of experienced, buyouts and new hires. I ended up with a conductor that was a local that had been a conductor years before but after getting a divorce had quit and moved west and hadn't railroaded for 20+ years. He knew what he was doing, but had never used a radio to switch with and had to get used to that. Most conductors hired in the last many years would piss their pants if you took their radio away from them for the day if any switching is involved. I prefer to switch (either on the ground or running) with hand signals, but it isn't always efficient, safe or practicable. Modern railroading seems to become dependent upon radio for almost any movement, not the best idea in my opinion.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Track Warrant evolution and UP change today SP5103 04-01-2014 - 10:15
  Re: Track Warrant evolution and UP change today Bill Maltby 04-01-2014 - 14:16
  Re: Track Warrant evolution and UP change today Ray Eiser 04-02-2014 - 00:21
  Re: Track Warrant evolution and UP change today SP5103 04-02-2014 - 11:41

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com