Re: Caltrain, bikes and 21st century choices
Author: mook
Date: 05-30-2014 - 20:30

Interesting thing I observed when, a couple of times, I was early enough to just miss the outbound light rail train in Folsom in the morning: some people would leave an old bicycle in one of the bike lockers at the station overnight. ride out to Folsom in the morning, then bike the remaining couple of miles to work. Makes sense where there's little or no local transit at the time you arrive/leave, the distance is fairly short, and you live close to the train in the more affordable area (Rancho Cordova). Certainly, it's a lot less time to drive, but perhaps the cost of the car is too much, or the family only has one and the other half needs it more, etc.etc.

I had a 5 mile ride to/from light rail. I was not religious about doing that - took about 10 minutes longer than driving, and at the time I went the parking lot had plenty of spaces.

It's not Caltrain, but it's an indicator. Sort of like the people that used to (probably still do) leave a beater at the station around Santa Clara, ride ACE from Stockton or Tracy, then drive to work from the station. LR has lots of bikes on the trains too - people who can't afford a car, and others who just find it easier to bike a couple of miles from the train to work than to drive all the way.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Caltrain, bikes and 21st century choices WebDigger 05-30-2014 - 17:10
  Re: Caltrain, bikes and 21st century choices J Mann 05-30-2014 - 17:17
  Re: Caltrain, bikes and 21st century choices JFranz2777 05-30-2014 - 17:29
  Re: Caltrain, bikes and 21st century choices P. Kepler 05-30-2014 - 19:27
  Re: Caltrain, bikes and 21st century choices mook 05-30-2014 - 20:30
  Re: Caltrain, bikes and 21st century choices R Ruiz 05-30-2014 - 20:37
  Re: Caltrain, bikes and 21st century choices Look out! SGB 06-01-2014 - 17:29
  Re: Caltrain, bikes and 21st century choices Look out! HUTCH 7.62 06-01-2014 - 22:04
  Re: Caltrain, bikes and 21st century choices Look out! P. Kepler 06-01-2014 - 23:47

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com