George Andrews Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the additional history. I recall track
> cracking this area when I attended my first
> Winterail in 1985. ISTR the Espee's Oakdale branch
> was still in operation then, complete with an At -
> Grade crossing of Highway 99 on the East side of
> town.

Yes, there was. It was located in the vicinity of Miner St. (Miner had a pedestrian subway underneath SR-99 at the time.) The crossing was always fun to navigate. There was a red board "STOP" sign on either side of the crossing and we had to wait 45 seconds (I think) after stopping to allow time for the flashing signs on SR-99 to warn traffic and, of course, to allow them time to stop as the gates were going down. Invariably, once we started across the highway, some driver who wasn't paying any attention would come screaming up and notice this train in front of him and come to a screeching halt. One time a car buried itself into the read-end of a stopped car. We stopped the move and called the yard on the radio to get help. The highway patrol and an ambulance came pretty quick. We gave our statements to the officer and then left. You always held your breath at that crossing.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Revisiting Jim Speaker's Photos -- SP SW1500 in Stockton South Yard Switchman 07-27-2014 - 12:41
  Re: Revisiting Jim Speaker's Photos -- SP SW1500 in Stockton George Andrews 07-27-2014 - 20:11
  Re: Revisiting Jim Speaker's Photos -- SP SW1500 in Stockton South Yard Switchman 07-28-2014 - 06:39
  Re: Revisiting Jim Speaker's Photos -- SP SW1500 in Stockton Bob 07-28-2014 - 09:30
  Re: Revisiting Jim Speaker's Photos -- SP SW1500 in Stockton Craig Tambo 07-28-2014 - 13:47
  Re: Revisiting Jim Speaker's Photos -- SP SW1500 in Stockton Mike S 07-28-2014 - 22:00
  Re: Revisiting Jim Speaker's Photos -- SP SW1500 in Stockton George Andrews 07-29-2014 - 20:58

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com