Re: Railroad Filmmaker "Don Olsen" passes
Author: fkrock
Date: 08-22-2014 - 08:48

I'd like to add a little more about Don's films and videos. Don was a perfectionist. In the days before video editing was available for almost any computer, Don assembled his films on 16 mm stock. Films shown at Winterail were 16 mm film to give better projected picture quality. If the original were faded, Don would correct it in the process of making copies. He would correct the frame rate to give accurate speed on 16 mm sound film. Most silent movies were shot at 16 frames per second. Sound film is 24 fps. Some enthusiasts shot as low as 8 fps to get more running time on very expensive film. That's why on some videos trains appear to be switching at 50 mph.

I remember very well one time when Don had been ill and was not able to complete his film for Winterail. In order to fill his committment I had to read the voice over live at Winterail. Don didin't want to disappoint any one. It's the only time I have ever had to read a voice over for a live audience.

We're unlikely to see his kind again. RIP Don. And thanks for all the pleasure you have given to so many people.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Railroad Filmmaker "Don Olsen" passes Jack Williams 08-20-2014 - 15:42
  Re: Railroad Filmmaker "Don Olsen" passes john 08-20-2014 - 19:32
  Re: Railroad Filmmaker "Don Olsen" passes Jack Williams 08-21-2014 - 09:29
  Re: Railroad Filmmaker "Don Olsen" passes fkrock 08-21-2014 - 12:04
  Re: Railroad Filmmaker "Don Olsen" passes George Andrews 08-21-2014 - 19:56
  Re: Railroad Filmmaker "Don Olsen" passes Video fan 08-21-2014 - 22:53
  Re: Railroad Filmmaker "Don Olsen" passes fkrock 08-22-2014 - 08:48

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com