2015 locomotive orders
Author: SP5103
Date: 01-17-2015 - 12:59

Anyone familiar with what locomotive orders exist for 2015 presumably T4 compliant?

UP has been getting some new SD70AH units, but these were part of an emergency add on order that somehow the accounting works that they are considered being built in 2014 under T3 rules but not delivered until 2015. I believe EMD is supposed to start delivering the new F125 commuter locomotives for Metrolink which will be powered by a T4 20-cylinder CAT engine at something like $6 million a copy. Rumor has it EMD opened up a design office in Boise, Idaho and most of the design work on this is being done by former MPI employees. Any bets on what EMD will eventually produce? I am betting on a resurrected and heavily modified 265H. I wonder when the test beds will appear?

I have read a post from a fairly reliable source that GE does in fact have a T4 compliant design. I also keep reading that BNSF is getting new C4s, so are these similar to the UP deliveries and these are T3 from last year or are these T4 compliant? If so, what orders does GE have on the books and will there be a model designation change?

No doubt there will be plenty of gensets and a few more commuters that will be T4, but these are all likely fertilizer (DEF/urea) engines that the Class 1s would prefer to avoid on system road units.

I'm not sure if the oil prices going bust will affect traffic that much. Canada and the Bakken will see a loss of drill pipe and frac sand traffic, but I would bet the crude oil trains will still continue to run. If they do build the XL pipeline, there might be a boom in pipe traffic and some crude oil train loss, but that won't do anything to supply east and west coast refineries unless they switch back to imported oil. Dirty coal continues to decline except where they have been able to export it. Whenever they get the third set of locks on the Panama Canal open there will be some kind of shift in intermodal and maybe other export traffic - the west coast longshoreman have done a good job of making customers consider other options.

We are going to see a huge evolution in railroads in the next few years but not to worry because PTC will fix everything.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  2015 locomotive orders SP5103 01-17-2015 - 12:59
  Re: 2015 locomotive orders J.B.Bane 01-17-2015 - 13:38
  Re: 2015 locomotive orders J 01-17-2015 - 15:18
  Re: 2015 locomotive orders Foamy McFoamer 01-18-2015 - 10:44

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com