Re: UP at it again........
Author: Not UP
Date: 03-19-2015 - 09:10

Recently applied for a UP job that I had experience for. It was an interesting experience. First, it takes a while to get everything into the website into the exact format they want. It would actually be faster to have filled it out on paper. They have several questions you have to answer correctly, or it stops you from proceeding further. I have lived several years within 50 miles of the job location, so relocation was not an issue.

After a couple months of nothing, I get a robocall at 7am telling me to check my email from UP. I then had three days to sit down on the computer with a good internet connection and do a physco-babble test followed by a reading comprehension test. Both were timed, and pretty intense. The physco-babble test had lots of safety questions - are you safe, what would you do if one of your fellow employees wasn't being safe, who is at fault for an accidents, can all accidents be prevented, etc. Not as crazy as long as they used to give years ago during cattle call hiring sessions, but very similar.

After passing that, I then received another robocall and email telling me I needed to sign up for one of two hiring sessions the next week. You only had 3-5 days notice for that. Then instead of it being located at the proposed job location, it was 100 miles away so I had to drive 140 miles and arrive before 8am. When I signed up there were 15 openings on two consecutive days, there were only 7 of us on the first day. I was probably the oldest one there which didn't surprise me, but what did is that there were only a couple of applicants in their 20s, one of which was trying for the second time.

The regional HR manager then gave us a long lecture on how safe UP was and how that was their #1 priority, and went on to describe many of the working conditions fairly accurately. He also invited applicants to drop out several times if this wasn't the job for them, none of us dropped that I was aware of. I don't think one thing the HR manager said was correct, that Social Security counted towards RRB. If we were to advance to the next phase, we had three weeks to get a physical and drug test, pass a physical agility test and pass a background investigation. The classes were to be held in the same location, and the first month those of us from out of town, which had the most open positions, would get a per diem and then UP would pick up the motel. The pay didn't seem to be too bad, more than I expected, but still playing the 75% game.

A couple things the HR manager said that I found surprising. According to their agreement, if you work three days in train service you are entitled to a day off. Is the UP agreement more generous than the FRA HOS regs? ALso said that UP engineers are guaranteed $110k per year. Just before noon, we were scheduled 15 minutes apart for an interview. I went into this expecting not to get a job offer, and UP did not disappoint me. I did ask during the interview if any person had actually looked at me job application, and the HR manager seemed to be offended saying that in fact they had. Prior to the hiring session, my only contact had been through the computer or robocalls which I guess I felt was too impersonal. HR manager claims it costs UP $100k to recruit and certify new train service employees which I thought was high, but I know WATCO figures at least $15k. I think I pissed off the HR manager when he asked if I didn't think I was better qualified for a mechanical position, which I said no. There was a mechanical position open that I probably qualified for that they are offering a hiring bonus. I'm not interested in relocating to take a graveyard job with Tuesdays and Thursdays off considering I make twice as much doing the same work as an independent contractor. I also mentioned I was surprised that there wasn't a younger group of applicants and was told that the younger generation is not willing to consider the working conditions. I understand that, but is UP avoiding hiring 20 somethings or are they not applying?

Based on my limited recent experience, I found that UP's recruitment process requires an applicant to spend a lot of time in front of the computer. You have to be prepared to wait, but then act quickly. The whole experience is very impersonal, and you won't deal with anyone but the HR manager. I guess I prefer to meet a potential supervisor to get a feel of what to expect. I think they have gotten carried away with their safety speeches almost to the point that you expect them to ask you to drink the Kool-aid next. I know UP is still recruiting college graduates for their management training program, though there is supposed to be another program to hire managers from within the ranks.

I guess they are a success despite themselves.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  UP at it again........ Spike 03-18-2015 - 17:00
  Re: UP at it again........ OPRRMS 03-18-2015 - 17:47
  Re: UP at it again........ Cut-Out-Cock 03-18-2015 - 18:10
  Re: UP at it again........ Mark 03-18-2015 - 23:25
  Re: UP at it again........ Jon 03-18-2015 - 23:40
  Re: UP at it again........ Al Tomante 03-18-2015 - 19:03
  Re: UP at it again........ You pee 03-18-2015 - 21:57
  Re: It will never happen... Jon 03-18-2015 - 23:32
  Re: It will never happen... Eugene guy 03-19-2015 - 07:56
  Re: UP at it again........ Not UP 03-19-2015 - 09:10
  Re: UP at it again........ Dr Zarkoff 03-19-2015 - 10:48
  Re: UP at it again........ John WEst 03-19-2015 - 22:02

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com