Re: Does anybody know where I can find Locomotive Horsepower rating charts?
Author: BN Engineer
Date: 09-01-2015 - 12:05

Usually doesn't exist unless you can get your hands on local instructions. As a rule, it is usually 1hpt per 1% of grade. So when we go across the Scenic Sub from Wenatchee to Seattle, we usually power up to 2.3 hpt. There is other factors in play too such as distributive power in the train, etc.

I think that it is interesting that UP went to the rated power axles. BNSF use to do it that way then they changed back to the Horsepower per ton. The only explanation I know is that, "The only thing that is constant at the railroad is change."

Although, I did attend cho-cho U, as part of an experiment, here a some of years ago in Kansas for the BNSF. They were playing with the idea that every three years, an engineer would fly back to recertify all in one week while there. But while I was there, the instructor gave us the mathmatical formula put out by the AAR that converts rated power axles to horsepower. It was something complicated that factored in torque and power. But most BNSF enginer are 8 rated powered axles. And they may have a little more dynamic braking power, usually 10 dynamic braking axels. You usually see these number on the Evolution Series locomotives.

I don't know what I did with the materials from that class. I only went back the one time. If I find them, I will try to post them.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Does anybody know where I can find Locomotive Horsepower rating charts? Yolo 08-31-2015 - 16:20
  Re: Does anybody know where I can find Locomotive Horsepower rating charts? RWS 08-31-2015 - 21:42
  Re: Does anybody know where I can find Locomotive Horsepower rating charts? BN Engineer 09-01-2015 - 12:05
  Re: Does anybody know where I can find Locomotive Horsepower rating charts? UPRR 09-01-2015 - 17:21
  Re: Does anybody know where I can find Locomotive Horsepower rating charts? Yolo 09-02-2015 - 13:47
  Re: Does anybody know where I can find Locomotive Horsepower rating charts? RWS 09-02-2015 - 17:01
  Re: Does anybody know where I can find Locomotive Horsepower rating charts? RWS 09-02-2015 - 17:17
  Rich, Thanks for the info. Yolo 09-03-2015 - 12:29

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com