Re: BHP Nevada operations on NN
Author: Bruce Butler
Date: 02-04-2016 - 09:23

Jeff

Storing cars is easy money and would be something the museum should consider. The problem is getting them in and then pulling them back out when the owner wants them. The longer you can keep them, the more easy revenue they generate.

If you have trackage that isn't being used, then that is PERFECT for storing cars! However, storage cars on trackage that is occasionally used can be a real P.I.T.A. when you have to move them to serve your customer!!! The shortline RR I work for likes storage car revenue enough that consideration is being given to restoring some sidings long ago removed for the express purpose of storing cars.

If that trackage south of Shaffer, or the trackage behind the dirt berm toward the mine, could be used for storing cars; the revenue received from storage fees would likely make putting that crossing back in, or taking out the dirt berm, worth the effort. I don't think that the grade crossing has to be "in service" in the FRA sense. Just good enough to move a train across with proper flagging protection.

I believe that it is legal to store cars on out-of-service track. All you have to be able to do is move them in and out safely. You could even consider using museum volunteers to shove cars in maybe 5-10 cars at a time at 5 mph with the lightest loco you have, if that is what it takes to get the job done.

I would also recommend that you store cars for only one customer with the understanding that when they request car returns, they do not ask for specific cars by number but are willing to take the cars that you can get to the easiest.

You just don't want to get into a situation where you have to move 100 cars out of the way to get at the group of cars that they want RIGHT NOW!!!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  BHP Nevada operations on NN ke6qr 02-03-2016 - 21:49
  Re: BHP Nevada operations on NN Jeff Moore 02-03-2016 - 22:32
  Re: BHP Nevada operations on NN Ben Bachman 02-04-2016 - 08:42
  Re: BHP Nevada operations on NN Bruce Butler 02-04-2016 - 09:23
  Re: BHP Nevada operations on NN An Observer 02-04-2016 - 15:56
  Thank-you ke6qr 02-04-2016 - 17:39

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com