Remains of SP car ferry "Solano"
Author: James Bradley, Jr.
Date: 03-26-2016 - 21:39

While browsing through Google map images, I came across what appeared to be the remains of a large ship in the San Joaquin River, near Antioch. Upon closer examination, I noticed that the outline resembled the railroad car ferries I had seen in photographs. At first, I thought it might be the remains of the SN car ferry, "Ramon". Using the Google measuring tool, it is way too big to be the "Ramon". It measures 405' long (apx.) and 65' wide (apx.). After doing some more digging, I discovered that this is the remains of the SP car ferry "Solano".

The Solano was used to ferry trains across the river from Port Costa to Benicia. This operation was abandoned when the Benicia Bridge opened in 1930. The Solano was taken to Antioch and scuttled. This is all that remains of what was once one of the largest railroad ferries:

[www.google.com]

Considering it has been 86 years since she was scuttled...I'm surprised even this much remains. Such a waste. I'm sure the SP could've found other uses for her, or perhaps even sold her to another railroad. I've lived near Antioch my entire life, and never knew that this piece of railroad history existed. Too bad there isn't much left of it to save.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Remains of SP car ferry "Solano" James Bradley, Jr. 03-26-2016 - 21:39
  Re: Remains of SP car ferry "Solano" clipper841 03-26-2016 - 21:46
  Re: Remains of SP car ferry "Solano" JR 03-26-2016 - 22:13
  Re: NPC ferry "Sausalito" Rat 03-28-2016 - 17:25
  Re: NPC ferry "Sausalito" HUTCH 7.62 03-29-2016 - 09:50
  Re: NPC ferry "Sausalito" Craig Tambo 03-29-2016 - 22:40
  Re: Remains of SP car ferry "Solano" John Sweetser 03-30-2016 - 14:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com