Re: SP's TE70-4 Popsicles and rail museums
Author: J Mann
Date: 06-06-2008 - 12:38

From a railroad museum standpoint what would be a better locomotive to preserve - a TE70-4 which was basicly a failed experiment or a SD45T-2 that was a successful design? The reason I bring this up is that UP is getting rid of older locomotives. SD45T-2's, SD40T-2's, and other locomotives that we have seen all around the country are being cut up. CSRM has a SD45T-2, but overall there is only a couple of examples of second generation SD power being saved. So why aren't we trying to make sure that locomotives of recent history are being preserved?

The big problem is that most rail museums are running into the problem of having too much stuff and not enough space to store it or volunteers to restore it. Big locomotives like a SD45 or SD40 take up a lot of space and can't be econmicly operated. SW's and GP's are better for short lines and operating rail museums to operate. So going forward we will see lots of first generation diesels saved but almost no second generation.

Personally I think it's too bad that a TE70 wasn't saved. But I can think of a lot of other locomotives that I would give higher priority to save.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SP's TE70-4 Popsicles in Oakland SPC 05-30-2008 - 09:01
  Re: SP's TE70-4 Popsicles in Oakland OPRRMS 05-30-2008 - 14:28
  Re: SP's TE70-4 Popsicles in Oakland SP_RedElectric 06-05-2008 - 21:07
  Re: SP's TE70-4 Popsicles and rail museums J Mann 06-06-2008 - 12:38
  Re: SP's TE70-4 Popsicles and rail museums SP_RedElectric 06-06-2008 - 21:28

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com