Re: Proposed Long Beach yard-Damned Chinese....?
Author: BOB2
Date: 07-28-2016 - 21:32

Yep, if we only quit buying so many goods from China........, and Japan, and Korea, and Viet Nam, and Germany, and Chile, and..........

And yet, I see you that you clearly must have posted this using your 100% American made computer, right?

We have met the enemy, and it is us....as Walt Kelly once noted in Pogo.....?

I know it's old fashioned of me to point this out, but free trade is actually pretty good for most of us. No one can force you to buy exports you don't really want. No one trades and sells you these exports, if it were not profitable to export for sale. So buyers and sellers both benefit by getting more of what they want through trade, more cheaply for the consumer, at more profit from an expanded market for the producer. That damned Adam Smith.....go figure?

This is another interesting intersect of CEQA rules and regulations versus Federal Pre-emption that will be interesting to follow. This project is badly needed to maintain and improve port/rail competitiveness, and despite the crazy talk from the fringe elements, will actually reduce a lot of truck emissions from unnecessary drayage, and all of these trucks and loco's will be Tier 3 and Tier 4 compliant, by then anyhow......oh well?

Choking off trade will not restore domestic wages, as most job loss in manufacturing, both here and abroad, is increasingly coming from automation, not trade. Choking off trade will raise consumer and manufacturer prices, by cutting international supply chains, which will very negatively affect what remains of US domestic manufacturing, and cost consumers and manufacturers in the US hundreds of billions in lost annual GDP, killing potentially millions more jobs, than from some of these increasingly obsolete jobs that would be "saved" (temporarily at best...?). Oh well.....?

Meanwhile, I will go have some of the good Carmenere I like, from Chile, that we traded those Caterpillar tractors for, that they like to use to mine that copper they sell us, and so on..... And, I'll try not to worry too much about it.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Proposed Long Beach yard scpr 07-27-2016 - 20:41
  Re: Proposed Long Beach yard The Odd Duck 07-28-2016 - 15:21
  Re: Proposed Long Beach yard-Damned Chinese....? BOB2 07-28-2016 - 21:32
  NIMBY's vs Greenies let the battle begin Ba-Woosh! 07-29-2016 - 07:09
  Re: NIMBY's vs Greenies let the battle begin HUTCH 7.62 07-29-2016 - 08:33
  Re: NIMBY's vs Greenies let the battle begin BOB2 07-29-2016 - 08:43
  Bob your an IDIOT! Ba-Woosh! 07-29-2016 - 11:52
  Re: Bob your an IDIOT! No, It's Bob you're an IDIOT..... BOB2 07-29-2016 - 12:07
  Bob. Who pee'ed in your grape nuts this morning? HUTCH 7.62 07-29-2016 - 13:27
  Re: Re: NIMBY's vs Greenies let the battle begin Graham Buxton 07-29-2016 - 14:46
  Correction: Bob you're an IDIOT! Commenter 07-29-2016 - 16:23
  Re: Proposed Long Beach yard mook 07-29-2016 - 18:58

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com