Re: Commuters Resort to the Rails As Gas Prices Rise
Author: mook
Date: 06-16-2008 - 21:45

Your points about car cost are all valid, and 35c/mile for my little old car includes depreciation. "Paid off" is mentioned because the interest expense is now over and done with, which cuts the operating cost/mile considerably. Interestingly, depreciation has been negative (value has gone up!) in past years when gas prices jumped (as a small car it gets better than fleet average gas mileage).

My note about parking cost is also a bit tongue in cheek but true. The employer's subsidy is supposedly for the transit pass, but it covers so much of the transit cost that for practical purposes it's a parking pass for an outlying p+r lot with a free shuttle to work on the light rail train. If they paid as much as IRS would allow the transit pass (and therefore remote parking) would be free. In-town lots with a short-distance bus shuttle to work are almost 3x the out-of-pocket monthly price even after explicit subsidies, and are less convenient. With gas prices driving more people to transit, though, they might have to start charging for the p+r lot soon to manage the demand (smaller - 100-200 car - lots are often full by the time the 3rd or 4th train of the day leaves). I also ride a bike to the train when I can - pleasant in the morning and a bit of exercise, and saves gas. Increases the cost/mile for the car though - fewer miles to spread the fixed costs over.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Commuters Resort to the Rails As Gas Prices Rise Richard Elgenson 06-15-2008 - 08:43
  Re: Commuters Resort to the Rails As Gas Prices Rise Dave Smith 06-15-2008 - 20:10
  Re: Commuters Resort to the Rails As Gas Prices Rise No name please. 06-16-2008 - 07:08
  Re: Commuters Resort to the Rails As Gas Prices Rise Freddie 06-16-2008 - 07:19
  Re: Commuters Resort to the Rails As Gas Prices Rise BOB2 06-16-2008 - 11:40
  Re: Commuters Resort to the Rails As Gas Prices Rise mook 06-16-2008 - 12:51
  Re: Commuters Resort to the Rails As Gas Prices Rise Money talk 06-16-2008 - 20:27
  Re: Commuters Resort to the Rails As Gas Prices Rise mook 06-16-2008 - 21:45
  Re: Commuters Resort to the Rails As Gas Prices Rise Dave Smith 06-18-2008 - 20:18

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com