Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks?
Author: BOB2
Date: 09-02-2016 - 15:50

This looks like a potential ADA lawsuit and/or City liability for pedestrian death or injury, from my perspective.

I actually took the FHWA CEU Certification Class on the Pedestrian and Bicycle changes to the Highway Capacity Manual, which includes things like this, a couple of years ago, when they made all the big changes.....? And, this is a pretty hokey solution from a whole lot of perspectives. So I am kind of curious as to why whoever did this, would do this?

If the RR put them up, it might be because they may have had the good sense to try and take the stockholders money out of the settlement pot....by showing "due diligence" to the hazard. But, that's way to proactive in acknowledging any real safety hazard in my experience with any RR I worked for or with....so I kind of doubt it.

What hazard you say? This might be from tripping over the rail, getting a wheelchair stuck on the tracks (has happened a lot actually), or a pedestrian or wheelchair deviating into the traffic lane, being injured and/or buying the farm, from an unexpected encounter with any passing large motor vehicles (which also happens a lot where there are no sidewalks).......

If the City did it, then they've identified the deficiency, and may have exposed themselves to even more liability..... by acknowledging the risk from the hazard presented, and not remedying it.

If they're relatively new is there, or has there been some kind of litigation, or some PUC grade crossing notice requiring something like this. Does anyone know about it?

Since the paint appears to be peeled, it doesn't look that new?

This is another very tiny, but almost perfect, example of our national infrastructure deficiencies, by not doing real basic things like finish connecting the damned sidewalks..... Many of these areas have developed from rural to urban so fast, that things like this were never done....

With today's standards, this crossing might also require pedestrian gates, moving the existing gates, etc.. So some of these seemingly simple things can be very expensive.....which is another excellent example of why the cost of some of these things have grown so much.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? Negin 09-02-2016 - 10:02
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? BOB2 09-02-2016 - 15:50
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? Al Stangenberger 09-02-2016 - 21:15
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? - URL Al Stangenberger 09-02-2016 - 21:22
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? Dragoman 09-02-2016 - 15:52
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? Bill Shakesphere 09-02-2016 - 19:17
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? mook 09-02-2016 - 20:40
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? WebDigger 09-02-2016 - 22:14
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? Negin 09-03-2016 - 01:09
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? NWPist 09-02-2016 - 22:27
  Same Sign In Novato NWPist 09-02-2016 - 22:39
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? Simple sss 09-03-2016 - 06:18
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? Simple Ed Workman 09-03-2016 - 08:07
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? Simple Negin 09-03-2016 - 09:08
  Re: Don't kill all the lawyers until you've actually read the rest of the play, it just makes you look stupid BOB2 09-03-2016 - 10:51
  Re: Don't kill all the lawyers until you've actually read the rest of the play, it just makes you look stupid Edward 09-03-2016 - 17:18
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? Simple sss 09-03-2016 - 15:42
  Re: No Walkie across UPRR Tracks? Simple Larry 09-03-2016 - 23:20

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com