SP spun-offs and short outfits
Author: boomer
Date: 09-20-2016 - 17:10

Thoughts on recent topics:

NWP:

Bryan Whipple was an SP man, so his experience showed basically he could rebuild the NWP north end, yes? No; Whipple thought that State Support through predecessors of TIGER grants could be obtains, as kids these days say: EPIC FAIL.

The Northwestern Pacific was a tired operation, at least on the north end. Truckers knew what they were getting into even back in the day, a feast frenzy with Taxpayer dollar-maintained HWY 101. The logging industry is currently not the same, but hey, it's Eureka... The Eureka Southern even went out to operate the old Annie and Mary in Arcata, again, good intentions.

Island Mountain was a disaster because it's very unstable soil, you don't need to be a geologist for this, but SP did a cheapo fix by hiring their favorite rail budget contractor: Morrison Knudsen, who even performed horrible locomotive rebuilds...

If they can get someone like Herzog or Balfour Beatty into rebuilding the north end, then I could possibly think that Palo Alto based NWPCo could make a profit. The mere problem of Whipple's Northern Nevada Railroad was merely a political decision. North Coast Railroad Authority are overpaid Government Workers that haven't been able to repair the line north or out of the SMART limits not involving John Williams. Williams knows what he's doing, also Park is a good man.

KAISER and SDAE:

The Eagle Mountain Railroad project has nothing to do with the SDAE, at least by itself. Eagle Mountain is a modern railroad from the 50's, built with heavy rail, that's even how Desert Center was made. All it needs is ties, ballast and a good tamping and there you go. I don't even want to think what UP will think about letting the reconnect to the demolished yard at Ferrum. UP is very difficult with their lawyers, UP doesn't care like the friendly SP did.

Back when Willis Kyle ran the show on the Yreka Western he made money, and payed well, when SP gave good rates to the Amador Central and the mill was operating, it was good. The McCloud suffered since the Itel years...

The failure of Carrizo Gorge Rail going up the hill, was merely the local oufit being conned into the disaster of what PIR is today. It all had to do with the Las Vegas Group. The Railroad from Mexico, Baja Railroad payed hald a million dollars to the San Diego Metropolitan Transportation Development Board, owner of the Carrizo Gorge line: From where did the Baja shortline came up with a big check?

NEVADA NORTHERN AND S&S RAIL:

Robinson Mine doesn't have much left. Coal might not even get a chance even if it not being California. Nevada State doesn't care about a little town like Ely, they would care more about Pahrump "tourists". Gambling has dropped in Reno since 1995 and hasn't recovered. The NN Ry Museum doesn't have any funds to repair the line north of McGill JCT.

Look behind the outfit that acquired BHP Nevada, they are trucking whatever is left there...
I would like to know more about the S&S Shortline folks being the northern part of the line.

NO DIGGITY:

Some of these new young Trainmasters just can't seem to get things moving now, better for them to stay quiet on the extra board! probably they have sticks up their a#$es, since management like to keep them like that: I don't blame them, some of the I've talked to are good guys that would be doing just fine in the steam days, but with Human resources and lawyers getting nosey into Train-Service? It looks like BLE and RRB are the only good benefits left dental. Amtrak is a safe haven for seniority for the old guys. Plus, don't spoil them with PTC, don't do cameras invading privacy in their cabs, teach them on not relying on dynamics all the time No, thank you!

My final rant: It's really too bad you can't really railroad like men used to back in the day. All this Union Pacific virus-lawyer toxic BS absolutely spread in the west killing new talent. Whatever happened to SP efficient switching with Safety? There WAS such a thing, I was THERE.

BUY LOCAL:

Not counting Genesee Wyoming operations that used to be RailAmerica, there are some successful operations that I've witness, mainly the independent ones, such as Copper Basin in Arizona and the Santa Maria Valley. Those folks clearly know what they're doing. Oh, well.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SP spun-offs and short outfits boomer 09-20-2016 - 17:10
  Re: SP spun-offs and short outfits An Observer 09-20-2016 - 17:49
  Re: SP spun-offs and short outfits Jeff Moore 09-20-2016 - 23:29
  Re: SP spun-offs and short outfits Alf Doten 09-21-2016 - 07:14
  Re: SP spun-offs and short outfits john 09-22-2016 - 10:00
  Re: SP spun-offs and short outfits An Observer 09-22-2016 - 17:30
  Re: SP spun-offs and short outfits john 09-22-2016 - 20:06
  Re: SP spun-offs and short outfits Jeff Moore 09-22-2016 - 21:30
  Re: SP spun-offs and short outfits clipper841 09-22-2016 - 21:40
  Re: SP spun-offs and short outfits john 09-22-2016 - 23:49

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com