Re: SP Eugene, Oregon
Author: SP5103
Date: 09-29-2016 - 20:58

The last I knew, most of the shop was still standing but the roundhouse, hump and RIP was long gone. The shop was being leased by CORP (replacing the old OP&E shop), but after G&W I don't know if PNW's ALbany shop is doing all the work or not. I think Coos Bay Rail Link used it a little while, but now they use the old LP&N shop.

Google Earth still shows it standing, with a Talgo train tied up next to it. There was an in track wheel lathe in the newest part of the building; I wonder if anyone is using it. I was last in the shop maybe 6 years ago.

I was in the shop about 1989 picking up some parts when it was still SP and the Borg wasn't even a nightmare. It was full of engines under repair.

It's amazing how time has changed things - mergers, shortlines, technology and the collapse of the US lumber industry. I getting old enough to realize change may be inevitable, but not necessarily something I have to accept as good. RIP ESPEE.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SP Eugene, Oregon Don B 09-29-2016 - 19:54
  Re: SP Eugene, Oregon SP5103 09-29-2016 - 20:58
  Re: SP Eugene, Oregon Geob 09-30-2016 - 06:38
  Re: SP Eugene, Oregon L P & N Gandy 09-30-2016 - 18:06

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com