Re: Coast Starligt trip...in December
Author: John Bauer
Date: 07-04-2008 - 17:21

The Starlight was relaunched June 10. There are four named Parlour Cars. They have been spruced up but they are mechanically the same. Air conditioning goes out on one end only, for example. They are bad ordered frequently. Sometimes the train runs without one and sometimes they substitute a diner/lounge. You have to buy a ticket now for the wine tasting. $5.00 if you are in sleeper and if the car doesn't sell out they go to the coachs and sell the tickets for $10.00. If they sell out the wine tasting (with sleeper and coach tickets) and you haven't purchased one, you will have to leave the car. If you are along the coast at wine tasting time, the car is full, you don't have a ticket, you will have to leave.

For the sleeping car experience it is advertised you will receive sparkling wine or cider and fresh fruit, and a personal amenities kit that includes shampoo, soaps, and lotions. I received none. An onboard manager told me they are "still working out the kinks." Maybe AMTRAK can have the kinks worked out by December.

The diner has a reduced menu now. Three main entrees and fewer deserts. Shouldn't be any concern where you will only see two evening meals, three lunches, and two breakfasts. Meals are included in the price of the sleeper. If they have a Parlour Car on the train they will serve a different menu there for sleeping car passengers. Served by the Parlour Car attendant.

If you are being picked up by somebody in Vancouver, consider the ease of getting to that station vs. the Portland station. Maybe consider Portland on the return trip. Portland has a Metropolitian Lounge for sleeping car passengers that "to me" is a very relaxed area. You can leave your bags there if you want to wander from the station. Or just sit there and go doze off.

Time keeping has really been hit and miss. It has made it to Portland some days on time. Others, a couple hours late. This week there was a several hour delay in Sacramento waiting for one of the San Joaquins that is a guaranteed connection. The Frazier slide has NO effect on the train. There is a "Form B" and it is at maximum authorized speed. You are across the slide in less than a minute.

I think you should have a good trip.

JohnB

Disclaimer: I have been in the Parlour Car three times since relaunch. By December, AMTRAK could change their policy a half dozen times.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Coast Starligt trip...in December Allan Stevenson 07-03-2008 - 21:25
  Re: Coast Starligt trip...in December coaststarlate 07-03-2008 - 23:09
  Re: Coast Starligt trip...in December William Nicholson 07-04-2008 - 11:36
  Re: Coast Starligt trip...in December Carol L. Voss 07-04-2008 - 13:34
  Re: Coast Starligt trip...in December Dmac844 07-04-2008 - 14:04
  Re: Coast Starligt trip...in December John Bauer 07-04-2008 - 17:21
  Re: Coast Starligt trip...in December shortline sammie 07-05-2008 - 07:20
  Re: Coast Starligt trip...in December Steven D. Johnson 07-09-2008 - 05:49

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com