Re: GN Big Sky Blue
Author: Nussel Snouts
Date: 08-21-2017 - 13:14

Quote:
The old route is mostly intact. I biked it last year and stopped at Wellington.

Back in '67 or the following year we walked the road from the west portal of the new tunnel all the way to Wellington. At about the midway point there was a flat treeless area across the valley floor. At this point some distance from the road there was a structure that looked like the frame for a billboard, with the front facing the road. I would imagine that is long gone for it was in bad shape at that time. I snapped a photo of it and will have to go through my slides to learn if my memory is correct. After the washout of the road decades ago, I knew they would never repair that section of the road for vehicle traffic.
When I saw the old railroad grade a few years ago, it showed quite the degradation of the remains from the first time I walked the line. Then the thought occurred to me that that was nearly a half a century ago that this young teen walked it in '67 and '68.
Be careful up there a few years ago a middle aged man stalked the wife and I while walking in the woods near the west portal at Scenic. He was following and hiding in the bushes until I locked my eyes on the bushes he was hiding behind. He then stood up and approached me until he suddenly became very nervous. I should have known when I saw him driving a white commercial style van back and forth on the road from the highway 2 entrance to the washout.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  GN Big Sky Blue Pdxrailtransit 08-18-2017 - 10:53
  Re: GN Big Sky Blue Geob 08-18-2017 - 14:46
  Re: GN Big Sky Blue Espee99 08-18-2017 - 15:26
  Re: GN Big Sky Blue Nussel Snouts 08-18-2017 - 23:07
  Re: GN Big Sky Blue Jim 08-21-2017 - 10:13
  Re: GN Big Sky Blue Nussel Snouts 08-21-2017 - 13:14
  Re: GN Big Sky Blue George Andrews 08-22-2017 - 21:27

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com