Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass
Author: Mike Martin
Date: 11-06-2019 - 16:31

Lots of great names have been listed. I would add Tom Gildersleeve, Jack Whitmeyer, Gordon Glattenberg, Don Sims, William H. Mills, Ted Benson, Dave Lustig and Donald Duke.

Thanks Bruce and Dave for the kind words. They are appreciated.

When I joined the Santa Fe PR department's L.A. office in September 1977, the three system photographers there included Frank Meitz, Don Erb and R. Collins Bradley (Brad). The latter two were mentioned in a prior post. They had a photo lab in the Santa Fe Coast Lines Grand Division offices at 6th and Main streets in downtown L.A. The entire Santa Fe black and white photo archive was located in L.A. at that time.

As company photographers retired, there was still a need to have photos shot, or staged for contract photographers, and much of that responsibility landed in my hands. I had proven to be capable with 35mm and medium format film cameras when shooting photos for the Santa Fe employee magazine and to accompany press releases.

Another part of my job was working with news, trade and hobby media - something I enjoyed and my colleagues, for the most part, preferred to avoid. I recall taking Bruce Kelly on a November 30, 1990 cab ride between San Bernardino and Barstow for a Railfan & Railroad article about the new Super Fleet locomotives. The locomotive consist was a solid set of red and silver Super Fleet DASH 8-40BWs (500 class). While in town, Bruce was also invited to a photo shoot at the newly expanded San Bernardino intermodal facility.

Dave Busse rode with me on numerous occasions, usually as part of the KABC Inland Empire news team doing a story on any of a number of different railroad topics. I hosted cab rides for Ted Benson, Dave Lustig, Richard Steinheimer and Shirley Burman, Don Phillips, Andy Sperandeo, Kyle Brehm, Mike Del Vecchio and many others. It was a great way to show off the railroad's capabilities for efficiently, safely and sustainably moving the world's commerce.

In 1993 I was relocated to the Chicago area (Schaumburg) offices, then moved to the BNSF headquarters at Fort Worth in 1996. In August 1997, I left the railroad for an opportunity in the beverage industry.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass Don B 11-02-2019 - 21:07
  Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass Deardorf 11-03-2019 - 14:43
  Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass Don B 11-03-2019 - 19:31
  Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass OPRRMS 11-03-2019 - 21:06
  Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass Bruce Kelly 11-04-2019 - 06:06
  Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass BOB2 11-04-2019 - 07:06
  Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass Jay Burkgart 11-04-2019 - 17:58
  Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass George Andrews 11-04-2019 - 18:27
  Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass . 11-04-2019 - 19:02
  Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass Bob Williams 11-04-2019 - 20:07
  Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass Flatlander 11-05-2019 - 06:29
  Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass David R. Busse 11-05-2019 - 09:46
  Re: Santa fe railroad photographers Cajon Pass Mike Martin 11-06-2019 - 16:31

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com