Re: Trains Mag RR Maps Vol2- John's maps
Author: James Schlinger
Date: 01-23-2020 - 08:16

Unfortunately, TRAINS magazine has continued a constant decline over the last 5+ years. I don't think it has anything to do with the people that actually work on the magazine but instead it is a reflection of print media in general these days: you either put out a premium product that people continue to see value in, or you continue to decline into irrelevance. Cost cutting is not the way to go to survive. For me, Railfan and Railroad has just totally changed things ever since White River got involved. It is filled with quality photography with excellent reproduction. You can really tell how much has been invested in putting out a quality product each month. Conversely, TRAINS is printed on recycled paper and is darn near 40% advertisements these days anyway. I won't be renewing when my subscription comes up and I would predict that within 5 years, the printed publication will be pulled altogether.

My apologies for the digression from the original post, but I think any lack of quality one finds in TRAINS' products these days is mostly a function of cost cutting by the parent company - the irony of it all of course is that's exactly what the big Class Is are doing as well...

PS - Signor's maps are hands down the best maps there are. Would be real cool to see a book solely of his maps. I'd buy two copies for sure!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Trains Mag RR Maps Vol2 Pdxrailtransit 01-21-2020 - 10:44
  Re: Trains Mag RR Maps Vol2 FUD 01-21-2020 - 11:07
  Re: Trains Mag RR Maps Vol2 Brian Westgate 01-21-2020 - 15:45
  Re: Trains Mag RR Maps Vol2 Pdxrailtransit 01-21-2020 - 15:48
  Re: Trains Mag RR Maps Vol2- John's maps Nudge 01-21-2020 - 16:06
  Re: Trains Mag RR Maps Vol2- John's maps George Andrews 01-21-2020 - 17:02
  Re: Trains Mag RR Maps Vol2- John's maps FUD 01-22-2020 - 18:59
  Agree totally Pdxrailtransit 01-22-2020 - 20:35
  Trains Mag RR Maps Vol2 Bill 01-24-2020 - 07:31
  Re: Trains Mag RR Maps Vol2 FUD 01-24-2020 - 08:58
  Re: Trains Mag RR Maps Vol2- John's maps James Schlinger 01-23-2020 - 08:16

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com