MRLX 6304
Author: Matt Farnsworth
Date: 01-04-2009 - 14:07

Taken from the "Letter from TUT (not the mummy)" thread, I read several interesting comments about the MRLX 6304:

"Then along came that ex-VIA F-9 that Skow had painted in Black Widow. That thing only made it to McCloud when an air leak sideline it. I was told by the man who repaired it that the unit should not have been run due to rather the rather poor condition of the locomotive."

"For what its worth, that unit does not have dynamic brakes or controls for dynamics on trailing units. When it made the Westbound trip from Reno to Colfax, they toasted the brakes on some of the cars."

"According to man who supervised the repair on 6304 in McCloud told me that control stand was packed with dirt, there were frayed wires, and just a general mess. He was, in fact, surprised it made to McCloud at all."

What year did the unit make this McCloud trip? It's now working on the Washingtion and Idaho Railway, and it is in excellent shape. The control stand has a lever to control dynamic brake equipped units (along with a sign saying that the 6304 doesn't have dynamic brakes):

[www.rrpicturearchives.net]

Has this unit gone through a major rebuild since it's failed McCloud trip? Seeing it working almost daily on freights, (not to mention the fact the the train crews like the unit), I find these stories hard to believe.
Matt

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  MRLX 6304 Matt Farnsworth 01-04-2009 - 14:07
  Re: MRLX 6304 Drew Jacksich 01-04-2009 - 14:14
  Re: MRLX 6304 Drew Jacksich 01-04-2009 - 14:50
  Re: MRLX 6304 TM 01-04-2009 - 17:51
  Re: MRLX 6304 Tom McCann 01-05-2009 - 13:11
  Re: MRLX 6304 Jim700 01-05-2009 - 23:22

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com