Re: LVT
Author: STEVEMEYERS
Date: 02-18-2009 - 08:45

Hi:

Last things first--the LVT ran non-stop from Norristown to Upper Darby non-stop. After the last Liberty Bell ex C&LE car fire on the P&W LVT passenger cars were barred from running on the P&W and thru passengers transfered at the Norristown station to P&W Bullet cars for the rest of the trips, most of which made few stops en route, Still a very fast and exciting ride. Note that the freight motors continued running to Upper Darby almost until the end.

The last photo of one of the lightweights was, I belive taken in front of the LVT Allentown terminal at 8th & Hamilton.

In the previous set of pix car # 812 had an interesting history. It was built on the chassis of car # 154, a high speed St.Louis deck roof interurban car built for a proposed Philly-NY interurban line of the LVT.! When the then president of the LVT died prematurely the whole program died with him and the cars were surplus. Some were kept for service, as is, on the Philalphia Division but car 154 was rebuilt as an arch roof, arch windowed heavy private interurban car as car # 999 (available for charter). When the LVT purchased the C&LE cars (and Indiana Railroad car # 55) as part of their modernization program, they renumbered 999 to 812 and put it in the pool with the existing 700 series heavy MU cars on the Philadelphia division. They (and it) would be used when multiple car trains were required. Towards the end of the Philadelphia interurban runs, as the lightweight cars built for Ohio's reasonably flat profile started breaking down, the 700s and 812 took over most of that service.

Incidentally, a full day of riduing the LVT's Easton Limited and Liberty Bell Limited in 1941 was my introduction to the world of interurbans. I certainly started high, didn't I ?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Lehigh Valley Transit Second Set Of Images Freericks 02-17-2009 - 20:51
  Re: Lehigh Valley Transit Second Set Of Images fkrock 02-17-2009 - 21:53
  Re: Lehigh Valley Transit Second Set Of Images Drew Jacksich 02-17-2009 - 21:58
  Re: Lehigh Valley Transit Second Set Of Images Freericks 02-17-2009 - 22:08
  LVT d 02-17-2009 - 22:31
  Re: LVT Freericks 02-18-2009 - 07:21
  Re: LVT STEVEMEYERS 02-18-2009 - 08:45

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com