Southern Pacific -- an unfortunate TV ad
Author: viewer
Date: 11-18-2022 - 16:47

This Southern Pacific TV ad from the early 1980s makes me cringe. It foretells what happened to the company. The ad lists SP's very diverse portfolio of industries. The ad was probably intended just as a simple public relations piece. But in retrospect, it seems like an ad to attract a buyer (or corporate raider) like Anschutz.

Ad says: "...we are a gold mine." Cringe. Oh my yes. To Anschutz, it was. From what I find online, he bought SP for $90 million in 1988, sold the railroad part to UP in 1996 for a $1.4 billion profit. He broke off the telecom business, which was worth billions.

Ad ends with: "We also run a railroad". That's an unfortunate way of phrasing it. It unconsciously signals that the railroad business part is secondary. I wonder if the railroad was very weak a than time, with the recession and collapse of timber industries.

[www.youtube.com]

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Southern Pacific -- an unfortunate TV ad viewer 11-18-2022 - 16:47
  Re: Southern Pacific -- an unfortunate TV ad RA Phillips 11-18-2022 - 17:56
  Re: Southern Pacific -- an unfortunate TV ad Erik H. 11-19-2022 - 22:37
  Re: Southern Pacific -- an unfortunate TV ad George Andrews 11-20-2022 - 10:26
  Re: Southern Pacific -- an unfortunate TV ad FUD 11-20-2022 - 19:20

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com